Friday, February 13, 2015

Blanche DuBois



Lest you think I liken myself to this character from “A Streetcar Named Desire,” I simply mean to refer to her famous line “…I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.”

Although that isn’t entirely true. I don’t feel I’ve depended upon it as much as I have often been pleasantly surprised by and greatly appreciative of every instance during my entire life. I’ll go one further and rewrite the line to suit me: 

"I have always been humbled and grateful for the kindness of friends and strangers.” 

How’s that for poetic license?

As I was looking into the full-time RV lifestyle a common theme is that everyone is so friendly and helpful. I know what those words mean but it was still hard to figure out exactly what that would look like. Now that I’m on my way, I have a much better idea.

Before I encountered any strangers, I first felt kindness from friends. 

As I introduced the idea to friends and colleagues, I was listened to and encouraged. No one suggested that I should be locked up or, at the very least, suggest I talk to my doctor about medication. I appreciate the questions that led me to evaluate concepts that hadn’t yet occurred to me, many of which showed their concern for my safety and well being.

As mentioned in prior posts, the rig I purchased was owned by friends. Here again I appreciate how well they cared for the coach and how willing they were to work with me to make the purchase, change some of the interior features and learn how it all worked. 

Then there were the friends who gave me their campground membership, which was an especially kind and generous offer. This membership has contributed greatly toward making this move affordable and has also allowed me to park in very beautiful and friendly places.

During the months of transition during which I had to get out of the condo, out of the storage unit, have systems on the rig checked and repaired, and to actually move in, I greatly appreciate the kindness and generosity of friends who often allowed me to store  several totes of things I was moving into the rig all over their house. They also let me take over a room and to park this giant RV on the street in front of their home. During these many weeks, they always made me feel welcome and at home. 

So much kindness to be grateful for! Might I add that while these kindnesses were unexpected, they were not a surprise as I’ve always felt as though I were a millionaire when it came to friends.

Strangers are another matter. 

During the first week spent in an actual campground, I really didn’t notice anything that stood out with regard to the ‘friendly and helpful’ adjectives frequently applied to the RV lifestyle. I remember trying to hitch my car to the back of the rig for the first time so I could tow it to my next destination. As I sat on the ground, scrutinizing directions and the pictures of the proper setup on my phone, not one person approached to offer assistance. 

So, when I got to the next campground, I was pleasantly surprised by the waves and smiles and offers of assistance! One gentleman stopped by a few times to offer to help with the canopy, which I was not planning to set up because I was far too busy trying to put things in place inside. But that was very kind.

I have a tendency to get to campgrounds after sunset. This, by the way, is never a good idea. When I arrived at the next campground where I could choose my own site, I drove around and around trying to figure out what a site even looked like. It was so hard to tell where one started and stopped. Finally, after getting out and walking around, I made a selection and pulled in. As I was struggling to unhitch the car, a neighbor walked over and offered to help. He helped me get the car unhitched, the electricity plugged in, and the water hose connected. The rest could be taken care of in the morning when I could see. When morning came, he and his wife were there again to help with everything. They taught me a great deal and made the whole learning process so much easier. 

After determining that I would store the rig and drive to Colorado to see Evan for Christmas, my neighbors helped me prep the rig for storage. The rangers at the campground helped me find a good spot in the storage yard and worked with me to book my next two campground reservations. After a faux pas that will be revealed in the upcoming blooper reel, the rangers were helpful in getting it resolved and making needed repairs for which they refused to accept any tips. 

When I returned from Colorado, the battery in the rig was dead. I was able to hook up my jumper cables but another camper who was out walking the dog with his young daughter, and who happened to be a mechanic, recognized that it would take a long time so he brought over a booster and got things going. Then, while looking for a space in the dark, another camper jumped out of their vehicle and helped guide me in. Without the help of these other campers, I fear I would have had to spend the night locked in the storage area with no water or electricity. Did I mention the temperature was in the 20s?

I contracted with two different companies to install tires on the front of the rig and to install the hard-wired voltage/surge protector to protect everything from the unknown and often inconsistent voltage at the various campgrounds. Both completed all work as promised and both went over and above with regard to customer service.

Just a few days ago I arrived at my latest campground home. In the dark. Of course. I find it very hard to drive in the dark, looking for a space in an area with which I am entirely unfamiliar, especially knowing that I cannot back up the rig when my car is attached to the back. But once again I experienced the kindness of strangers. The ranger took me around on the golf cart until we found a spot where I could pull in for the night. After leading me back and guiding me in, he hooked me up to the electricity. The next day a different ranger helped me find a great spot and guided me in so I would be secure and level. 

Secure and level. These words cover so much more than just the position of my rig. They describe how I often feel thanks to the kindness of friends and strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment