Monday, February 9, 2015

Sunny Side Up: The Ballad of the Shapes of Things




After several days of rain and overcast skies, it’s been great to go outside to cook! My latest meal consisted of roasted potatoes and steak cooked out in the beautiful sunshine. It was a bit chilly but that doesn’t stop dinner from being served! As long as there’s sun, there’s supper!

I’ve never been much into cooking outdoors. Matches, lighter fluid and charcoal never would come together the way they are supposed to, at least not for me. I can recall a number of times during Ohio summers when I would try so hard to light the hibachi so Evan and I could make hamburgers, or roast hot dogs and marshmallows. It never happened. After several frustrating tries, I’d go inside and light the stove. This doesn’t happen anymore! 

Nevertheless, I am still learning a lot about cooking outside. One lesson I’m especially trying to learn with regard to the Go Sun Stove reminds me of an old song by the Kingston Trio. It’s called “The Ballad of the Shapes of Things” and you can find it on YouTube.

You might have noticed that the stove part is a long tube and the food goes into the tube in a long tray. I tended to think that the foods I cooked had to be shaped that way, too. However, I recalled after years of baking Irish soda bread in loaf pans that I could also bake it in muffin tins, Bundt pans, whatever pans I had. Guess what? It tasted the same! What a revelation!

So I’m applying the same thinking now to the Go Sun Stove and have a list of things I’m planning to cook in the upcoming weeks. As I mentioned, the steak cooked up beautifully. It was a chuck steak cut in individual pieces by the butcher at the grocery store. The potatoes were cut in chunks. I’m planning on making steak and eggs for breakfast. The cooked steak will just need to heat up a little; the eggs will need to be scrambled and cooked. 

Soup is also on the menu! We all know what soup looks like when it’s cooking so I’ll definitely take a picture when cooking soup in the Go Sun Stove!

As cornbread muffins go well with soup, those are also on the menu. I’ve learned from other Go Sun aficionados that there’s a way to use silicone baking cups to fit in the tube perfectly.

Speaking of silicone, I’ve recently decided to use a silicone baking sheet to line the food tray rather than the parchment paper or foil suggested in the directions. I bought one from The Pampered Chef because it’s good to 500 degrees, does not have mesh encased in the silicone, and is easy to trim to size. It is so much neater to use and easier to clean up! And no added expense or landfill! I also learned that if you are planning to cut a silicone sheet to size, you may want to avoid the ones that have mesh in them as their instructions say to avoid putting food on the cut ends. 

Are you salivating yet? I sure am! Stay tuned to see what’s up…er, cooking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment