Monday, January 12, 2015

Downsizing: The 'Stuff' of Life

When I came to California in January of 1991, I brought with me all the Christmas wrapping paper that I had saved for years. You just never know when you will have to wrap a box just the size of that scrap of paper, right? It just seemed wasteful to toss it in the trash and it really didn't take up all that much space. Over time, years and years of time, that thinking applied to more than just Christmas wrap. 
Many have asked how I could just get rid of stuff so readily. Honestly, a few short months before I started the process, I was sure I never could. Getting to that decision was a process.
Part of the process was realizing how much space I would have, or not have, in an RV. Part was determining how much of what I owned actually had value measurable in more important ways than how it 'worked' in my current home. My mother's china? Keep! That cute blue vase that exactly matched the blue in my bathroom? Let it go. Isn't it sweet that Disney wrote a theme song for my summer?
Knowing my abysmal luck with garage sales, it was evident that I would need help. I called my realtor, the subject of a future post, and was directed to Little Miss Clutter Busters in Glendora, CA. Susan and her staff were beyond wonderful as they gently and compassionately encouraged a quick decision as to whether or not they would sell a particular item. I have no regrets.
Well, maybe one. But it's not so much a regret as a recollection of a difficult moment. I had decided that the swing in the backyard would go. Now this swing was similar to those that are set up in the summer months in front of the big hardware stores. Mine was a three-seater in a wicker material with a cushion to sit on and a canopy for shade and privacy. The canopy had blown away in a wind storm so I had taken to using picnic table covers instead. When I first brought it home and began to assemble it, the instructions strongly stated that certain sections required two people. Not having a second person handy, I used scotch tape on the opposite end and worked really fast. It worked as that swing was my favorite place to read, nap or just enjoy my little garden for close to thirteen years. It wasn't something that belonged to anyone else in my family. My son was rarely home to use it. It was mine, and I felt heartbroken when it was carried out of the yard. 
On the other hand, I found this process to be very freeing. Things were being sold or donated to people who were thrilled to get them, the condo was showing well, things were moving forward. You'll likely hear this often but Psalm 23 resonated on so many levels. In this case, the verse "He restores my soul" would come to mind frequently. In my Project Home/Tomboy Tools business, we sometimes discuss painting or drywall or furniture refinishing so I'm aware that restoration often involves some 'taking away'. Dirt, broken pieces, old finishes are removed so that the 'new' will show through. 
It did, and that continues to be true.


No comments:

Post a Comment